Teacher as Hero Award
This yearly recognition program, sponsored by State Farm®, honors outstanding educators in the Delaware Valley.
Nominations for 2016 are now open!
This year we are honoring TEN teachers in THREE categories.
Please read the criteria below, then click here for a nomination form to nominate a special teacher today.
NOTE: Nominees for categories #2 & #3 who are not selected as the winner will automatically be considered for the Exceptional Teacher Award. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced at the ceremony.
Exceptional Teacher Award
8 winners, including 1 Grand Prize Winner
This award will be presented to exceptional educators who leverage their excellence in teaching to make a difference in the lives of their students. Winners will be selected based on their achievements in the following areas. The Grand Prize winner will be someone who exhibits ALL or MOST of these criteria.
• Fosters an appreciation for diversity in the classroom;
• Teaches students how to resolve conflicts respectfully;
• Gives students a deeper understanding of the relationship between rights and responsibilities;
• Honors student voice in the classroom and in public spaces;
• Has taken a risk in order to remove an obstacle to a student’s liberty; or
• Incorporates the above concepts in their relationships with colleagues and community members.
Caring Classroom Award
This award will be presented to an educator who has integrated community service into the classroom and increased student civic engagement as a result. Criteria:
• This honoree meaningfully incorporates and champions student voice into the service learning process.
• Their students’ deep understanding of the issues they work on can be seen in the impact of their projects.
Good Neighbor Award
This award will be presented to a teacher who has initiated or teaches driver safety with heart by helping teen drivers to understand that driving is a responsibility as well as a privilege. Criteria:
• This honoree combines hands-on practice with lessons designed to teach the concept of responsible driving.
• Their students’ understanding of the responsibility of driving is evident through their actions and/or testimonials.
Nominate a Teacher Today
The 2015 Honorees received much-deserved recognition!
Meet the 2105 winners!
Mary Angel Alim-Flores, Truebright Science Academy, Phila., PA
Christie Besack, Central Bucks High School West, Doylestown, PA
Sara Flounders, Boys’ Latin of Phila. Charter School, Phila., PA
Kevin Forik, Richard Allen Preparatory Charter School, Phila., PA
Amy Hatlee, Governor Mifflin High School, Shillington, PA
Emily Kleinle, St. Basil Academy, Jenkintown, PA
Evan Kramp, Strawberry Mansion High School, Phila., PA
Marilyn Larke, Camden County Tech. School, Pennsauken, NJ
David Magpiong, Voorhees Middle School, Voorhees, NJ
Jennifer Mahieu, Samsel Upper Elementary School, Parlin, NJ
Christian Rupertus, St. Joseph’s Preparatory School, Phila., PA
Peggy Marie Savage, Richmond Elementary School, Phila., PA
David Stokes, The Paul Robeson High School for Human Services, Phila., PA
Lisa Teixeira, Kennett High School, Kennett Square, PA
Carol Turano, Pinelands Regional High School, Tuckerton, NJ
To see an entire album of Award Ceremony photos, go to our Facebook page.